Lifta was an arab village on a hillside in the western entrance to Jerusalem. In the 1948 war Lifta residents fled after attacks from the Stern Gang. Israel planned to demolish the 55 remaining houses in 2011 to build luxury apartments, but a legal action brought by the former inhabitants to preserve the village as a historic site, saved Lifta for now as the last arab village that was depopulated to have not been either completly destroyed or re-inhabited.
Green Line refers to the demarcation lines set out in the 1949 Armistice Agreements between Israel and its neighbours after the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. It marks the lines between Israel and the West Bank, Gaza and the Golan Hights. Gilo is regarded as an illegal settlement by the international community and the UNO. As with all settlements built on land of the West Bank, Israel calls it part of Jerusalem and it is administered as a part of the Jerusalem municipality.
Also called Mevaseret Adumim, E1 is an area of 12km² in the West Bank, where Israel plans to build further illegal settlements, which would connect East Jerusalem and the settlement Ma’ale Adumim. This would prevent contiguity between the northern and southern areas of the West Bank and would seperate East Jerusalem from the West Bank.
Aqqur was an arab village 14 km west of Jerusalem, which inhabited 106 houses and up to 480 residents (1931). It was depopulated during the 1948 war on July 13th under operation Dani. The village was completly destroyed and only house walls and rubble remain. A thick forest of fir and cypress trees have been planted on the site.
Beit Safafa is an arab village in the south of Jerusalem with over 7000 residents. In 2012 the construction of road no. 4 started, which cuts the village into two parts. It will connect the Gush Etzion settlement with Jerusalem and the main roads to Tel Aviv and Ma'ale Adumim.
Deir Yassin was an arab village in the northwest of Jerusalem with about 600 residents. It was depopulated on April 9th, 1948, when the paramilitary groups Lehi and Irgun killed 107 residents and cleared the rest of the village. This is called the Deir Yassin Massacre and afterwards caused many arabs to flee their villages all around Jerusalem. In 1949 the jewish neighbourhood Givat Shaul Beth was built on the land of Deir Yassin and in 1950 the arab houses, which where not destroyed, were used to inhabit the Kfar Shaul Mental Health Center which is still in use today.
Al Sawana is an arab majority neighbourhood on the Mount of Olives east of the Old City of Jerusalem. It is situated in East Jerusalem, which was annexed by Israel in the six day war in 1967. As with Silwan, Ras el Amud and At Tur, Al Sawana doesn't feature as an inhabited area on maps.